Quotes from this story:
- “Koyla was eighteen when he saw stars for the first time. It had been his first night in Chechnya.”
- Danilo and Kolya are prisoners of the old man, they build the landscape from the famous painting
- “This well, this pit has become for him a burrow. He considers the endpoints of escape – reenlistment, death, home – and the happiest outcome he can envision is this, right here, recaptured and resentenced to work a peaceful plot of land.”
- Galina complains about not being in a Bond movie… how the world is so unfair.
- pg 152 Galina about the film industry.
- She touches his hand, “My nerve endings gasped.”
- She wants to give the painting to Kolya’s brother